Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kale Chips

I had never had kale before my first visit to True Food Kitchen earlier this year. They have a wonderful kale salad that made me want to try recipes at home using kale. I was able to find TFK's Kale salad recipe here. I have veganized their recipe by using rice "parmesan" cheese instead of dairy cheese and substituting vegan bread crumbs for regular bread crumbs.
Having jumped on the kale train, I had been searching for kale recipes online and kept seeing recipes for kale chips. Many reviews said they taste like thin potato chips. Some recipes call for cheese or other non-vegan ingredients. I kinda made up my own recipe, using only 3 toppings. Next time I make these, I am going to spritz the kale with olive oil instead of drizzling in a bowl and tossing. I think I'll be able to cut down the amount of oil used (which isn't much), to almost none.

Vegan kale Chips

2 bunches of kale
Olive oil (you'll be drizzling or spritzing-you don't need much)
Rice "parmesan" cheese or other non-dairy cheese (to taste)
kosher salt (to taste)

1.Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the kale and pat dry
3. Cut the leaves off the stems
4. Tear leaves into big "chip" sized pieces
5. Put kale chips into big bowl and drizzle with olive oil

6. Toss to to coat the chips
7. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (for easy clean-up) or spray cookie sheets with oil
8. In a single line, without overlapping, fill the cookie sheets with the chips

9. Sprinkle salt over the chips....a little goes a long way...you don't want TOO much salt
10. Sprinkle the rice "parmesan" cheese over the chips

11. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Check on the chips and take out any that are crispy. If you have some that need more baking time, put them back in for 5 more minutes and you should be good.

The finished product: tasty kale chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment