Sunday, December 19, 2010

I made the creamiest, yummiest vegan cake batter ice cream!

I am on an ice cream kick lately (well, always...who am I kidding). My favorite ice cream of all time is cake batter from Coldstone Creamery, which I haven't had in over a year. I thought I would google cake batter ice cream recipes and found a few to choose from. Some called for eggs (weird) and I found 1 vegan recipe that called for arrowroot, as a thickener and required stovetop preparation. I decided to see if I could get away without warming the ingredients on the stovetop...I was successful at removing that step for this recipe. I came up with my very own Hibbard Kitchen original cake batter ice cream recipe. I died when I tried this. Matt died, too. It's pretty much the most awesome thing I've ever created. This would be exceptionally tasty with strawberries and graham cracker crumbs (That's how I used to order it at Coldstone Creamery)

Hibbard Kitchen Original Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream
1 cup Silk organic vanilla soy milk (any vanilla flavored non-dairy milk should work)
3/4 cup sugar (I used organic and it dissolved just fine)
2 cups unsweetened MimicCreme
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup vegan yellow cake mix (Dunkin Hines yellow cake mix is vegan and many store-brands are vegan...check the label)
Optional sprinkles

Directions
1. In a large bowl with a whisk, combine the soy milk and sugar, until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Mix in the Mimiccreme and vanilla.
3. Sift in cake batter about 1/4 cup at a time. You'll likely need to whisk for a little while after all the cake mix has been added to remove lumps.
4. Pour mixture into your ice cream machine and follow the machine's instructions. My ice cream began to get thick and get creamy around the 30 minute mark.
5. Eat immediately (I like instant gratification) or put in your freezer for a few hours before eating (I doubt you'll be able to wait that long to eat it).

5 ingredients

 Whisking all ingredients
 Ice cream churning
 After the ice cream is finished in the machine
 We couldn't wait to eat it...straight out of the ice cream machine
Here is the ice cream after freezing.
Mandatory sprinkles on top
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Word.

    I found this post through random searching. You are now my favorite person in the world.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I have been wondering about vegan cake batter ice cream too, and I'm so happy to find a recipe. Thanks for posting this! One thing I've used in my homemade ice cream recipes to do without the cooking part is xanthan gum. You can also use guar gum. But looks like your recipe worked just fine. I'm going to make this using So Delicious Coconut milk and creamer - my son has cashew allergies so we can't use Mimicreme.

    ReplyDelete