This non-vegan coconut macaroon recipe has 605 mostly great reviews. So, my challenge was to veganize it. The only non-vegan ingredients I had to have substitutions for were the butter (I used Earth Balance) and sweetened condensed milk (I had to make my own!).
I don't think I have ever baked with sweetened condensed milk, even before becoming vegan. So, I went to the internets and found this recipe for vegan sweetened condensed milk . I happened to have some powdered soy milk, from my holiday adventures with vegan white chocolate, so this recipe was perfect.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
Powdered soy milk (re-constitute using package recommendation...I used 24 ozs of water and 3/4 cup of NOW Foods powdered soy milk)
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp vegan butter/margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1) Add soy milk powder and the accompanying water into a pot and heat until mixture boils.
2) In a separate pan, melt 6 tbsp of vegan butter/margarine
3) Add sugar to the melted butter
4) When sugar begins to melt, add the hot milk from the other pot and add a dash of salt.
5) Bring the mixture to gentle boil for at least 5 minutes. The mixture should be finished cooking when it gets a little thick.
Vegan Coconut Macaroons
Makes 12 macaroons
- 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups and 1 tablespoon flaked coconut (I used Fresh and Easy sweetened shredded coconut)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp vegan sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla using your hands until well blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about golf ball size.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted (mine took about 17 minutes and I probably could have baked them longer)