Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vegan cupcakes take over the world!

I still need to feed my sweet tooth, even though I am now vegan. I knew that if I could make a vegan cupcake, I could survive being vegan. Total success! I went though a number of vegan cupcake recipes online and found a recipe from a cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. The vanilla cupcake recipe is soooooo yummy. I used a vegan frosting recipe I found online and modified it to make the most out of my citrus bounty.






Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World Vanilla Cupcake Recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Vegan-Golden-Vanilla-Cupcakes-302367 

Ingredients


1 cup soy milk (I used Silk vanilla soy milk)

1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp. cornstarch

¾ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt (increase salt to ½ teaspoon if you’re using oil instead of margarine)

½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or ⅓ cup canola oil (I used canola oil)

¾ cup sugar (I used organic cane sugar)

2 tsp. vanilla extract

¼ tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract (I added just a splash of tangelo juice)

Steps

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
  3. If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
  4. In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
  5. If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
  6. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
This content is from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Vegan Tangelo Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup margarine
  • 1/8 cup vanilla soy milk (I miced in tangelo juice into this measurement)

Preparation:

Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend until creamy. The consistency of the frosting may vary. Add more sugar, margarine or soy milk as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment