Sunday, May 2, 2010

Vegan french toast....it'll knock your socks off!

I have been burying my nose in the new vegan cookbooks my grandma got me for my birthday. My favorite so far is the You Won't Believe It's Vegan! book. It's there I found a recipe for vegan french toast. I was skeptical, but this recipe does not disappoint. It tastes JUST LIKE the real thing! I promise! Matt even likened it to his step-mom's famous french toast recipe. That's huge! We started out with a baguette from Sunflower, but it got too hard to use, so Matt ran over to Fresh And Easy and found a soft vegan baguette.


Vegan French Toast
Yield: 8; serves 4
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup canola oil (2 tsbp is for the mixture, 2 tbsp is for the cooking)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 tsbp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
8 slices vegan French baguette
Maple syrup, vegan powdered sugar and fruit for serving

1. Whisk together the almond milk, flour, 2 tsbp of canola oil, yeast, salt, maple sryup and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
2. Pour mixture into a casserole dish and place the bread slices into the mixture until both sides are saturated or dip the bread directly into the bowl saturating both sides.

3. Heat the remaining 2 tsbp of oil on a griddle or in a skillet and cook the slices until golden brown on both sides.
4. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with hot maple syrup and fresh fruit.



I found the perfect use for the little $2.95 sorbet cups I bought at Crate and Barrel this week-syrup!


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment