I have never eaten hot wings, but I saw this recipe for tofu hot wings in the You Won't Believe It's Vegan cookbook and wanted to make them for Matt. I usually don't like hot, spicy food. These turned out wonderful, but it would have been cool if the recipe had us mold the tofu into chicken wing shapes. The cool ranch dip is good with veggies and I can see it working for salads, too.
Vegan Tofu Hot Wings
Hot Wing Sauce
1/4 medium sized red onion, chopped roughly
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (2 tbsp for step 1, 6 tbsp for step 2)
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp vegenaise
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp agave nectar (optional)
1. Saute the onion and garlic in 2 tsbp of the olive oil over medium heat until slightly brown at the edges.
2. Transfer to a blender and add the lime juice, hot sauce, mustard, Vegenaise, water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Blend. With machine running, slowly add the remaining 6 tbsp of olive oil.
3. If desired, add 1/2 tsp of agave nectar.
Cool Ranch Dressing
1/2 clove garlic
2 tbsp roughly chopped white onion
2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
4 oz tofu, crumbled (I used silken tofu)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/3 cup Vegenaise
1/2 tsp spike seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash seasoning)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Process all the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender (or food processor) until smooth. With the blender running, slowly blend in the olive oil. Set aside.
Tofu Hot Wings
1 (14 oz) block firm tofu (I used extra firm)
1/2 cup canola oil or other flavorless oil
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Slice the tofu block in half lengthwise, then cut each half into seven sticks.
2. Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in a 9 inch skillet
3. Sift the dredging ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss the tofu gently in the mixture to coat. Shake off excess flour and place into hot oil.
4. Cook until the tofu puffs and crisps, carefully flipping the tofu over with a spatula halfway through the cooking process. Remove the tofu from the pan and drain on paper towels.
5. Toss the tofu in the hot sauce to coat.
To serve: Serve with small bowls of additional hot sauce and cool ranch dressing with some celery sticks.