Sunday, June 27, 2010

Veganomicon recipe: Vegan ceasar salad (topped with chile cornmeal-crusted tofu)

I am so excited to be finding amazing vegan salad dressing recipes. I've always loved caesar salad, but I've never made my own dressing at home. Vegonomicon has a great recipe for caesar dressing. It's so good that I think I'll need to make a batch of it every week!
Caesar dressing
1/3 cup slivered or sliced blanched almonds
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3/4 pound silken tofu (also called soft-don't use vacuum-packed variety)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon capers
4 teaspoons caper brine (I didn't have this, so I used 4 teaspoons vegetable broth)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
salt

Pulse the sliced almonds in a food processor or blender until crumbly, Empty the ground almonds into an airtight container that you'll be using to store the finished dressing. Blend the garlic, tofu and oil in the food processor or blender until creamy. Add the lemon juice, capers, caper brine, sugar and mustard powder, and pulse until blended. Adjust the lemon juice and salt to taste. Pour into the container with the ground almonds and whisk to combine. Cover and allow the dressing to chill in the refrigerator for a minimum 30 minutes, optimally 1 to 1 1/2 hours.



I filled a bowl with romaine lettuce and some mixed greens and put a small amount of the dressing on top and tossed the salad. I topped with leftover chile cornmeal-crusted tofu. What a divine combination!

The caesar salad is wonderful tossed with Gardein seven grain crispy tenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment