Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ratatouille

I just discovered ratatouille about a month ago at La Piccola Cucina in Phoenix and I wonder how I lived without it til now. I expected to find a ton of ratatouille recipes involving mass amounts of oil, but surprisingly, most of them are sans oil.
Making ratatouille is almost like making a soup on the stove, but the end result is more of a side dish. I have grown to love vegetables since I became vegan over 8.5 months ago. This recipe is full of color, so you know it is good for you; lots of red and green. Did I mention that I love eggplant? I think I am going to try to grow some eggplant in my patio planters. I found a great recipe from one of my favorite food blogs www.skinnytaste.com . For those on weight watchers, this recipe is a 0 point food. I used my kitchen oil spritzer to add a bit of olive oil, so mine is probably a 1 point side dish. The recipe pairs well with gardein crispy tenders drizzled with marinara sauce. Yum!

Skinny Taste Ratatouille
Ratatouille (Vegan)This is a great 0 point dish made famous by the Pixar movie.
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 5 servings Time: 35 minutes Points: 0 ww points
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 red pepper, chopped
  • 3-4 small zucchini squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
  • 4 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs (I omitted the bread crumbs, as the recipe is perfect without them)
In a 4-quart dutch oven or saucepan, spray a pan with cooking spray. Cook the onion and the garlic until soft, 6-7 minutes, do not let garlic burn. Add eggplant, peppers and tomatoes, bring to simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Add zucchini, simmer for 10-15 more minutes until vegetables are soft. Stir in the herbs, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle on the bread crumbs and cook another 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment