Monday, January 3, 2011

Flossing...officially a habit

Over thanksgiving, my mom mentioned that a connection exists between oral health and mental health. Poor oral health has been linked to Alzheimer's, with many studies being conducted in the medical field to find out more about the connection. It clicked with me that I need to pay better attention to my teeth. Every time I go to the dentist, he tells me that I need to floss more. I laugh because I just never floss...ever. On December 1st, I committed to flossing every night for 31 days. I am now at day 34 and going strong. Even if I am super tired at night, I just think of my dentist (and my mental health), and I pull out the floss. I hope my dentist notices the difference on my next visit and that my brain notices my new habit, too!

I like Crest Glide floss
 But I adore Reach cleanpaste

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Oral health is totally neglected in media, but it is a really important part of overall health (there are connections to cardiac health, immune system health, and birth outcomes). (I geek out about oral health advocacy, so this makes me happy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's very good. Bad oral health can also lead to heart disease, so that's another reason for you to start flossing and taking care of your teeth! Your dentist will be very proud in seeing your healthy teeth, and your heart and mind will really appreciate your effort!

    -Wilton Winrow

    ReplyDelete