Saturday, December 18, 2010

Vegan coffee ice cream

A couple nights ago, as we were getting ready for bed, Matt told me he wanted coffee ice cream. I got out of bed, put the ice cream bowl in the freezer and started looking up vegan coffee ice cream recipes. From my 1st ice cream adventure, I learned that the ice cream machine bowl needs to be chilled for 24 hours (instead of the 10 hrs I tried with my peppermint ice cream).
I found a recipe from A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise blog. I made some modifications and am very pleased with the results. My Cuisinart ice cream machine says that most recipes take 25-35 minutes. My recipes seem to get to the proper thickness after about 40 minutes. It doesn't get incredibly thick in the machine, but it does get to about frozen yogurt consistency. Then, the freezer takes it to the next level. I think that is something people with ice cream machines don't tell you...you should freeze the ice cream after it's done in the machine.

Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
2 c. unsweetened Mimic Creme
1 ¼ c. soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)
¾ c. fresh, strong coffee or espresso (After my ice cream mixture was made, I stirred in about 4 T. of instant espresso mixed with a splash of water because my ice cream didn't taste 'coffeey' (I made up the word) enough.
¾ c. sugar
2 T. arrowroot
1 t. vanilla
Directions:
Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.
Mix the Mimic Creme, 1 c. soy milk, coffee, and sugar together in a saucepan. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).
Stir in vanilla extract. Taste your ice cream batter to see if it needs more coffee....I learned there is no such thing as too much coffee flavor in coffee ice cream.
 Put the ice cream mixture in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours (or put your bowl of ice cream in a bigger ice bath, in the refrigerator). Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.

6 Ingredients
Mixing on the stovetop
 I had guests coming over, so I did a quick ice bath chill to speed up the cool-down
I had to add instant espresso while mixing because it was not 'coffeey' enough
 I think my rush to get it done resulted in softer ice cream out of the machine
After frozen, the consistency is better
 Yummy.

We had friends stop by and bring us Treehouse Bakery vegan cupcakes, which we mixed into our bowls...mmmmm
 Mint chocolate cupcake by Treehouse bakery
 What is better than ice cream and cupcakes?!
 Matt approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment