Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Vegan white chocolate

I never even thought to make my own white chocolate. I searched at length for a vegan white chocolate with good reviews; nothing. I then decided to search for regular white chocolate recipes and vegan white chocolate recipes. I used this recipe from Bittersweet Blog but quadrupled it, since I need a lot of white chocolate for my crack corn.
I love Amazon. I was able to get raw food-grade cocoa butter, candy molds and soy milk powder, which were the only items I didn't have on hand. Cocoa butter smells AMAZING...just like pure chocolate. It is very hard and has to be liquefied, in order to blend with other ingredients. I'm not gonna lie, after I made the white chocolate, I licked the bowl dry. And, once the chocolate was chilled, I ate a couple squares. You know....quality control. ;)

Vegan White Chocolate
(This recipe makes 4 shallow candy bars)
8 oz cocoa buttter
4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tsp powered soy milk
2 pinches of salt

1. Place your cocoa butter in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke it for just a minute or two, so that it liquefies (mine required about 2 minutes and 15 seconds for the solid cocoa butter to turn to liquid). Be sure to keep an eye on it at all times, as it has a much lower melting point than a bar of finished chocolate.
2. Once completely melted, quickly stir in the remaining ingredients, being thorough so as to break up any clumps of sugar and completely dissolve everything into the molten fat. I took my combined mixture and blended it in a magic bullet, so I would have the perfect smooth consistency.
3. Don’t worry if it looks rather yellow at this stage, just pour everything into your molds and it will be alright. Tap the molds on the counter lightly so as to remove any air bubbles, and don’t even think about touching them again for the next few hours while they set up.
4. I highly recommend parking them in the fridge to speed up the process… Just don’t forget about them in there!


You'll need candy bar molds
Raw food-grade cocoa butter
Powdered soy milk
Pure vanilla extract
Powdered sugar

You'll scoop out the cocoa butter and it will look like this

After microwaving (or cooking on your stovetop), the cocoa buttter will look like this




Combine additional ingredients in separate bowl


Pour in the cocoa butter


If you can't get it super smooth, try using a magic bullet to get it super smooth



Pour into your molds

The finished product!

If I didn't have plans to make crack corn...all 4 chocolate bars would have disappeared by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment