Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vegan seitan parmigiana recipe

We are definitely on a seitan kick lately. It's like we have been trying to replace chicken in our normal every day meals. If there was a chicken recipe I used to love, my goal has been to use seitan as a replacement for the chieken. I do need to find other meat/protein alternatives because I have gained 2 pounds in the 3 weeks we've been vegan. This probably has to do with my sweet treat baking and my overall carbohydrate consumption. I do have to admit that my calorie intake has gone up because I am not eating "diet" foods. My soy yogurt has twice the calories of my old dairy light yogurt. My Ezekiel bread has more calories than my old light bread. And so on. I really had my heart set on making my vegan lifestyle *easy*. But, the truth is that it isn't easy. You have to pay so much more attention to basic nutrition.
I have become interested in raw recipes and hope to incorporate raw meals into our new lifestyle. I also have the goal of eating more vegetables and finding ways to try new foods.

Mock chicken (seitan) Parmigiana recipe:
Modified from a Vegan Dad recipe

We only needed enough for 2 pieces of "chicken" seitan, so we used 1/3 of all ingredients listed

Seitan Parmigiana
INGREDIENTS
- 6 pieces of "chicken" seitan, cooled
- 1 cup soymilk (we used silk vanilla soy milk)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (vwegan variety)
- 1/2 c nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp each salt, parsley, oregano
- oil for frying (we used very little oil)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 6 mozarella Tofutti slices (we used Teese mozzarella)
- cooked spaghetti (we omitted the spaghetti in favor of steamed brocolli)
METHOD:
1. In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice into soymilk. Stir and let thicken.
2. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, salt, and spices.
3. Dip a piece of seitan in the soymilk, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with all pieces of seitan. When all pieces are done, dip seitan back in the soymilk, then into the breadcrumbs to "double bread" the seitan. (Always keep one hand dry so that the bread crumbs do not clump)
4. Fry in oil on medium heat until golden brown.
5. Pour oil out of pan. Let pan cool a bit. Add spaghetti sauce into the saucepan. Stir in nutritional yeast. When bubbling, place seitan pieces in the sauce and top with a slice of cheese. Turn down heat and cover. Serve when cheese has melted.

TIP: Putting the seitan back in the sauce kind of sogs the breading. If that is not the texture you are going for, put the cheese on the seitan and place under the broiler for a few mins to melt the cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment